Saturday, August 22, 2009

Free Brain Fitness Software - Dual N-Backing Program

I'm a little busy right now, so I can't make this post a long one, but I thought that I'd quickly recommend a nice piece of free Brain fitness software, entitled Brain Workshop. The mental challenge on which the game is based, dual N-backing, has been shown to increase a person's working memory considerably, and I'd highly recommend it (future posts will discuss this fascinating discovery).

More importantly, there is a company called Mind Sparke, which is attempting to SELL software based on the dual N-backing method. Having purchased Mind Sparke's only currently available piece of software, Brain Fitness Pro, my opinion is that Brain Workshop is a better piece of software.


5 comments:

  1. There is also http://cognitivefun.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange thing:
    I have actually never read the paper where the dual-n-back claims are based on (see http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2008/04/25/0801268105.abstract). But I onced skipped through what I believe was the phd-publication of one of the main authors. I am not an expert in this field and I did not read the puplication very seriously, but to me it seemed like their explanation on why this task works was: because it is very difficult; more diffcult than the tasks used before

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been Dual N-Backing for several months and have definitely seen improvements in memory and speed of thought. Some ppl on cognitivefun.net are claiming 20+ IQ point increases from a year or less of work. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were methodological issues with the Jaeggi studies - something like not using a timed version of the Raven Matrices test, only using one subsection, etc. Still highly questionable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those looking to boost their brain power, an array of brain supplements are available. Of these supplements, the most effective and popular is Constant Focus. This Constant Focus review details why this brain support supplement is so effective. Constant Focus contains an all-natural formula of herbs whose use for mental enhancement dates back thousands of years. understand how all nootropics work

    ReplyDelete