Friday, July 24, 2009

Image Streaming Part 1: A Possible Way to Increase Your Intelligence

Win Wenger, who runs an organization called Project Renaissance, has for a long time promoted a method of intelligence improvement called Image Streaming. He claims that by practicing image streaming, considerable gains in intelligence may be achieved.

Before discussing the mechanics of Image Streaming -what it is, the underlying theory, how to do it, etc. -I thought that presenting the evidence behind image streaming would be beneficial. Accordingly, I searched the internet, and a number of academic databases, to discover the data supporting Image Streaming.

The result? I was able to discover only one study, which was non peer reviewed, written by Charles P. Reinert, and presented at the 1990 Annual Meeting Of the Society For Accelerative Learning, entitled: A Preliminary Study of the Effect of Verbally Described Imagery In the Development of Intellectual Skills At the University Level.

The entirety of the paper may be found in the third part of my image streaming series, and I would recommend reading my other posts on the topic, and also checking out Project Renaissance, but I present the relevant data below:

(From Section II, Part A. of A Preliminary Study of the Effect of Verbally Described Imagery In the Development of Intellectual Skills At the University Level, C P Reinert, Annual Meeting of the Society for Accelerative Learning and Teaching, Chicago, Il, April 27-30, 1990 )

Average Results:

1. Number of students assessed: 24

2. Average time in image streaming: 20.5 hours

3. Average attendance, percent: 70%

4. Average entry level I.Q.: 94

5. Average exit level I.Q.: 103

6. Average I.Q. gain rate: 0.44 IQ pt/hour

7. Entry level creativity scares:
Guilford "Decorations" 38.9
Guilford Expressional Fluency: 4.2

8. Exit level creativity scores:
Guilford "Decorations" 49.6
Guilford Expressional Fluency: 3.6

9. Entry level Kolb coordinates:
Active Experience - Reflective Observation: -1.2
Abstract Conceptualization - Concrete Experience: 0.8

10. Exit level Kolb coordinates:
Active Experience - Reflective Observation: 1.0
Abstract Conceptualization - Concrete Experience: -0.2


There we have it! Evidence supporting the image streaming theory! But, remember, it's not peer reviewed, and it's never been reproduced (for more on this, see part 4 of my image streaming series).

2 comments:

  1. I have read the "The Einstein Factor"--the book by Win Wenger that discusses this study. Quite interesting. My objection to the experiment is the fact that the study does not have a control group. Having a control group would eliminate the strong possibility that the IQ gain is coming from test-retest gain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got huge interest in this and have seen similar results in myself.

      Delete